Forum: Carrara

Subject: Best 3d card for 3d/Carrara modeling

Zhukov opened this issue on Oct 06, 2000 ยท 13 posts

Tephladon posted Sat, 07 October 2000 at 1:48 AM

Most of your production rendering is handled by 4 main things. OS, Processor, Chipset and RAM. If you look at professional graphics workstations you will find that most of them run SGI, MAC, or Intel processors. That does not mean that other processors like AMD are not good processors, it just means that they don't have the industry support that the others have. I cannot think of any professional studio who runs the 95/98 series of OS's Most run Unix, Irix, Linux or NT. Reason being are threads and much better memory management than 95/98. And let us not forget stability and the option of TRUELY running real-time and tweaking the OS to one specific function. To drive graphics as hard as they can. Furthermore networking is also paramount. Like I stated before I run the Screamernet on my 3 machines. SN came with lightwave and it allows mean to use the processing power of as many machines that I want in order to more quickly render. This cannot be done in 95/98 so far as SN is concerned. Believe me, I tried. You have to NT for the particular version that I carry. Chipset/motherboard is very important. It is your chipset that can make you or break you. AMD athlon dual processors have many problems with chipset so they crash more often than not. Intel, SGI etc... have very stable dual processor systems and based on the OS and how you tweak it, you can get up to a 98% performance increase. I have never heard anyone getting beyond that however. Ram is very important because the faster your ram, the faster you past data. RD rams is very expensive but very fast and is used in many high end workstations. AMD processors cannot run with RD ram. At lease that is what I read. Also do any of you know what a render boxx is. For those of you who don't know, it is nothing more than a box full of processors. 30 or more. You will find render boxx hardware and many studios for production rendering. Voxels, Raytracing, Anti-aliasing are all very taxing and can make a simple render of 2 minutes frame last up to 1 hour plus per frame. I am not talking about Bryce or Carrara anti-aliasing I mean, 3rd part anti-aliasing and rendering engines that plug-in to existing software. So processors and ram are VERY important in production rendering because during production rendering, you won't even have a video output so what good is a video card at that stage! Vid cards are great in preproduction work but once you get into production rendering, it is all processing!