Forum: Community Center

Subject: The OT forum has been closed down

Spike opened this issue on May 09, 2004 ยท 112 posts

Barbarellany posted Sun, 09 May 2004 at 11:42 PM

Sorry, as one person who has never personally attacked anyone, nor ever received any kind of warning ever, I am annoyed that by enjoying my Mother's Day I missed the answer to my question. It seems to me that many of the so called attacks were not intended against a particular member at all, but were perceived attacts because someone felt they belonged to a group who's ideas where being attacked. My question was, Is it considered a personal attack if someone writes ___________(fill the blank with Christians, republicans, dems, liberals, atheists, war mongers, or any other group that fits the thread) behavior is idiotic in the current situation because.... Now, is that a personal attack on a member or is it a perceived attack because someone relates themselves with that group? To discuss or blame a group for a behavior and add documentation to back you up is what debate in a forum is about as far back as forums have existed. The OT forum is a place where people went to vent sometimes and you get all opinions on the spectrum. Losing an arguement cannot all of a sudden be called foul. Now, I haven't read every thread and I am sure there have been cases of trolling and personal attacks. But in the threads that had the mod threats in them, it seemed that the nature of the debate was really the issue. If anyone says the christians might be wrong, some one is offended and it is now a TOS case. If my opinion is wrong, please state clearly how far the translation of personal attack goes. To be fair to the many people at OT who never personally attacked a member, I just think if you are going to annouce that you have shut down a forum you should give some of the details, not leave the rest of the community to believe that a bunch of animals couldn't control themselves. I am now offended!