Forum: Community Center

Subject: Maybe it's time to charge a membership fee

Dr Zik opened this issue on Oct 18, 2000 ยท 34 posts

Dr Zik posted Thu, 19 October 2000 at 8:28 AM

Hi Folks! Apology accepted, Marque--and since you put it that way, I guess I would win! (LOL) Wolf is referring exactly to banner in question. I support in spirit its intentions. And, as I said before, the artists who provide stuff here deserve to be compensated. Certainly this should remain a free site, but if Renderosity needs money to keep it running then I am willing and ready to pony up to the bar with cash in hand. It's just the principle of the thing. The issue I have is whether or not I have a right to expect to have complete control over my computing experience--including what I can do in an online area that is supposed to be free. A significant number of people who visit Poser and Bryce forums do so to download free stuff. If Rendersoity wants something in exchange for those free visits, then perhaps they should put on a timer on each visitor's account so that access is disabled after 30 days. Or do what the adult sites do--make a finite number of freebies available and charge a membership fee to have access to the rest. But putting up a message that is too prominent to ignore and can't be turned off until I buy something is the kind of brutal marketing tactic I expect from a company like Microsoft--not a community of artists. Call me a whiner if you will--but something about that just doesn't sit well with me. Peter (Dr Zik)