Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser's Interface: What to keep and what to change? (no gripin'...)

ynsaen opened this issue on Jun 18, 2004 ยท 50 posts

ynsaen posted Sat, 19 June 2004 at 8:47 AM

Ok, working my way up from the bottom, lol (dang -- these are some awesome responses!) (Gee, I'm sorta surprised the images of what it should look like haven't popped up yet, lol) I'll agree with Ajax's want for copy & paste functions in the material room. Man but that drives me nuts with Mil3 figures. My first reaction when I loaded v3 into P5 was "I'm gonna kill DAZ", lol. (which reminds me -- I'd sorta like the ability to select multple material zones at once -- including across objects). In fact, all of Ajax's suggestions are pretty damned sound -- they make good sense to me - no major revisions of the whole thing, just better arrangement. Remember that Poser's UI is psd & XML based -- it's technically a "skin" within a browsable window. Put that info in the hands of some of the skinners out there, and Lord knows what the interface would look like. Some display elements are hard coded, but most of them are completely "skinnable". (Now there's a utility that would be handy -- one that allows you to switch in and out GUI elements. Think of the products sales! We could have DAZ Cyclorama based Poser screens! Hey! Ow! Stop throwing the veggies!) Of the top 10 experts in User Interfaces, 7 work for MS, 1 works for Apple, and 2 work for Adobe. Add in the next five and 2 each to apple and Adobe, 1 to MS. And all of them are working on 3D stuff right now -- Room analogies instead of Folders. With my systems, that would mean getting lost in a labyrinth... Aeneas - good suggestions -- per your last one, though, if you set up your render prefs in P5 for each of them separately, they will remain that way when the prefs are set. Mine don't resemble the default at all, lol. Tyger Purr -- Love your opening, lol. However, that video game look is something that makes it friendlier for the newer folks. Could also be why my kids keep looking for the health bar all the time... I agree, as well -- The properties panel is under utilized -- and as noted as well, is too damn big in P5. Expanding it's capabilities is something I would really like to see (one could theoretically shift most item specific functions to it entirely, elimnating much of the screen clutter). I'd love to take a crack at the User manual myself -- perhaps I should rewrite it and drop it in the marketplace as a PDF? Given how much I love to talk, though, it would probably exceed the file size limits, lol. As for a file explorer and Library elements, I'll talk about them later, in a different thread. Francemi's observations, as a new user, are pretty invaluable. And her note, along with ajax's about the pop up window behaviors are something that needs to be addressed soonest, I think. I believe that there will be some work done with the animation system in the next release, despite it being a "stability" release. The current group of folks involved at CL is pretty heavy on folks that like Anim, and Poser's value as an inexpensive 3D animation tool that's fairly simply to learn and has a low learning curve has given it some pretty broad acceptance beyond our little community here in "real world" situations. Heck, I create Training CD's with it -- using Judy and Don, for the most part. lesbentley's efforts to get under the skin are showing in hs suggestions -- all of them good, simple, usability related stuff of the sort wanted. Clarification: I do not work for Curious Labs. I work for me. I have a long memory and a keen eye for details that are often overlooked. My purpose for htis information does include presenting it to CL in a collated format in a friendlier manner than is usual. Dang, Teyon -- sorry about the suggestion. It was something I discovered in P5 only recently, and by accident -- perhaps it's an error? lol Thank you all -- these are awesome suggestions -- exactly the sort of information I'm trying to collect, and much of this is the sort of stuff that is most likely to be wanted for P6. Not all of it, of course -- have to save some things for P7 -- but stuff that doesn't require a major rewrite of the present code is always a possibility.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)