Forum: Community Center

Subject: Maybe it's time to charge a membership fee

Dr Zik opened this issue on Oct 18, 2000 ยท 34 posts

CharlieBrown posted Fri, 20 October 2000 at 1:45 PM

{walking into a retail store is free. Even if nothing is purchased. There are sometimes annoying "muzac" commercials over the intercom systems there. Should one "pay" the store to enter it, so at not to hear the "muzac" and still not buy anything, but just browse around?} Uh, this is even more complex than that... If a store plays a radio station, they can be sued by any artist who has their music played for royalties (I've only heard of one case going to court, and it was settled before it could be tried, but most states have a law to this effect, or so I've heard!). Muzak is purchased "royalty free" and most of the commercials that you hear on it are added in at the corporate level, and are only for that store, it's chain, and/or its affiliates. The cost of Muzak (or lawsuits!) is charged to the consumer - they pay for it whenever they purchase anything. There are some stores where I WOULD be happy to pay to NOT hear the Muzak if I had the option... Hmm. I seem to be rambling and on a tangent. Probably should just delete this but I'm an idiot (just ask my wife!).