Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: How is Daz Studio better than Poser?

notefinger opened this issue on Jun 20, 2004 ยท 76 posts

whattawa posted Thu, 24 June 2004 at 10:41 AM

That Radeon is a card I have seen have lots of problems with OpenGL. Hope it works better for you than it has for me. I didn't have a good answer to notefinger's question because I don't think it is a matter of saying which software is better. Of course, there is what was pointed out that you are comparing a beta software to a version 5 software, which is completely legitimate. But beyond that, there is also the fact that it appears the two apps have different goals in mind. Poser has always been software that would directly make money for it's owner. They didn't even get into content until Poser 5 and that appears to have not gone as well as hoped. DAZ|Studio appears to be software to drive it's content. That seems to mean that if the software can't support the content, or vice versa, in an effective way, it is useless. And since it's free and you can use your Poser content, there is absolutely no risk in trying it out. Since it's free, that unluckily tends to mean it has to be even better than other programs, if you are looking to replace them. However, why replace Poser when you can use the two together and pull the benefits from whichever one you need at the time. And, if it ever gets to the point where DAZ|Studio is "better" than Poser in your eyes, you can shift so you use it more than Poser. It's no big deal. There's not much of a commitment there. People that say they hate the interface, well I have used many programs and every interface has been different. Whenever I hop into a new program I almost instantly hate the interface because I don't know it as well as other programs I have used. That's my fault more than the software's 9 times out of 10, because I am unbending and accustomed to some other interface. The nice thing about DAZ|Studio is that obviously user feedback gets listened to with the interface, because it has changed multiple times in the past 6 months or so. So, give constructive criticism and keep your mind open to whatever options are available. Good 3D artists are willing to play with new tools and techniques to see if they can improve themselves, so don't be afraid to try new software. It can only make you a better artist in the long run. Just my meaningless rants and raves...