Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: How is Daz Studio better than Poser?

notefinger opened this issue on Jun 20, 2004 ยท 76 posts

Vially posted Fri, 25 June 2004 at 9:36 PM

Right now, I do not know that DS is better than Poser is, but then again if you read the Poser forum, there is a lot that people are not happy with on it either. I think the biggest concern is it is different. The interface takes some getting used to; being configured more like Photoshop than Poser, with tabs and trays holding information. It does seam to have a quicker learning curve, but then again, there is not much available besides rendering images. There have been some concerns over a performance lag, which I have not seen. Although initialization is about 1/3 the time as Poser, renderings take about the same amount of time. In Poser I render full production, in DS I have been rendering full quality (has 3 settings; speed, average, and quality.) To me the cameras and the lighting adjustments are more intuitive. Once you figure out where the controls are I do find that they can be located and adjusted MUCH quicker than in Poser. I do not know if this is due to larger sizing in the adjustments or what, all I do know is that when I move a light in DS, it moves, in the direction I want it to, and not at a rate of 0.00004385736 units at a time. Image and camera zooms feel just as quick. Mind you, again, it is not done with a dial that is incremented at one billionth of a unit at a time, so that might be it. I personally do not see that much difference in finished render quality, and although there are some things I am trying to figure out how to do in DS that are fairly easy in Poser (transparencies, etc) everything else appears to work about the same. There is no animation capabilities, (unless you count rendering multiple images and stringing them together in a movie application) but I am willing to bet that is going to be one of those add-on packages that a person will get to buy. Just my two cents.