Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The Last P6 Question: User Levels (no gripin)

ynsaen opened this issue on Jun 27, 2004 ยท 43 posts

fiontar posted Mon, 28 June 2004 at 4:59 PM

Oh, I hate the way these forums will lose your post if you took to long to type it! I forgot about that wonderful quirk and lost a lot of effort. grrrr.... Simply, in a lot less detail, there are many, many cons to a 3 tiered system, unless it is done just right. The key would be to ensure that the Profession Edition exclusive features had very little to no appeal to the serious hobbyist, while providing value to the high budget Professional. This is very difficult to achieve and if not done right, would run the risk of alienating the community and destroying the economy of scale needed for Poser 6 to be successful. I think it would be much better to keep the Poser Artist/PoserX dicotomy. Poser 6 should not only offer no fewer features than Poser 5, in the same price range, but needs to offer refinements and new features that will drive sales AND new 3-rd party items to drive the appeal of those new features. The fiasco over the licensing confusion for P5 targeted items killed the development of those items and has limited the appeal of upgrading to P5 for many serious hobbyists. This is a huge lesson and Curious Labs needs to make sure they do not make a similar mistake with P6! To then give CL more revenue options, espescially from the higher end professional market, with out alienating the hobbyists, I would make sure that P6 was very well suited for Plug-in support. Then, offer high end plug-ins at the same time P6 becomes available that have appeal to the real, "monied" pros and do their intended task so well, there will be little incentive for 3-rd party versions of those same plug-ins. What would turn me off instantly to CL and P6 would be to see features hobbyists are dying for limited to a Pro, high priced version. Even "simple" feature dilineations, like render size or animation length, are hard to balance. (For instance, I prefer to render to large sizes, say 4000 pixels, then do my post work and reduce from there. Many tiered 3D products limit the "hobbyist" versions to something like 1024, which is unacceptable for me). There are ways for CL to offer truly professional capabilities to the professionals that can afford them. A three tiered product approach seems to be the riskiest approach and would require an absolute commitment not to limit features with appeal to the hobbyist base to an expensive product!