Forum: Vue

Subject: Newbie question

fuzzoom opened this issue on Jul 02, 2004 ยท 14 posts

forester posted Sat, 03 July 2004 at 10:09 AM

I've never run into any bugs in Vue 4, except for the Open GL problem. (Which probably is not a "bug", just a poor implementation.) And I'm using an older machine with 800 Mhz processors (although 2 of those) and Win2000. I'm a computer tech - as nearly as I can tell, people who've experienced problems have had them primarily because their Windows operating systems are ME, or Windows 98, or XP Home Edition where the latter is set up on a machine whose CPU and RAM sizes just meet the Windows specs. That is, their XP systems are underpowered, or they have somewhat unusual setups. (Fixed a person's machine yesterday who had four different printers and an olde scanner hanging off an older ME system. That kind of thing.) Mac users also seem to have more problems than Wintel users. Technically, Vue is probably the best supported of the landscape programs available at the moment. DAZ may be moving in the direction of providing solid support for Bryce, but they've not yet had time to ramp up a good support system. World Builder and World Construction Set are pretty good, but also have their share of technical difficulties. Personally, Vue's ability to create realistic lighting and atmospheres seems to me to be superior to the other programs. It is also easy to learn to use. But even more important is the ability to use "levels" and to have an object hierarchy list that allows you to manipulate the components of your models. As a person who builds models for many programs, the lack of that feature in other landscape programs means that I don't even try to make good models for those. That is, I can't make a dinghy model for Bryce, say, that a person using that could easily locate and change the hull color if they wanted. Same for World Builder and World Construction Set. I can think of a few features that would significantly enhance Vue, such as the ability to read the file header information in models, so that they would be imported in a consistant size. (Not requiring the user to always re-scale models to get them into correct proportion to each other.) But other than that, Vue is probably the best investment of money you could make in a landscape program. IMHO, of course. Terregen is wonderful too. This is why we support Vue and Terregen on our own commercial www.expandingwave.com site, and not the others.