Forum: Writers

Subject: Military Reenactments..my simple thoughts.

TomDart opened this issue on Jun 29, 2004 ยท 18 posts

avalonfaayre posted Mon, 05 July 2004 at 11:19 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own views. It is true, war in its essence sucks. The causes are not often the wishes of the people. Some wars are necessary for the ultimate victory. As far as sending "Blacks" ahead? What country do YOU live in?? As I remember from my history lessons, one of the purposes in the Cival War was for the emancipation of the same. I think you are missing the entire point. War is, in fact, a manipulation of the government, or dictatorship. Something we ALL have to become either willing or unwilling participants in, in one way or another. It exists and neither you nor I will ever change it. The re-enactments are not necessarily to glorify it, but to remind us that the ends SOMETIMES justify the means. To remind us of the times, of the causes, of the end result. True, people lost lives...but what freedoms do we now enjoy because of that war? While I concede that it is not always the case, all is in control of a higher power. Viet Nam was not a war that in my opinion produced anything but a bunch of psychological and physiological malformations.(My brother being one of them.) I am pretty sure that there are no re-enactments of any of the battles that we were engaged in through that mistake. Did we learn anything from it? I don't know...Did we profit anything?...I dont know...I somehow doubt that anything good came from it. All wars are horrendous. All war is created by someone other than participants. All war produces death and disaster. I, too, have bitterness in my heart. I cry now over useless waste in Viet Nam. As for todays war? Since when is it NOT war when an enemy comes into your country to maim and kill civilians with a bloodthirsty agenda? It was war before it was declared. What we have to remember is that sometimes it is necessary. SOMETIMES it is necessary, regardless of what we want. I don't want my nephew to be in Iraq. Thousands of mothers don't want their sons and daughters in foreign lands, but if they don't fight, who will?...and how many more will die in our homeland? WE HAVE TO REMEMBER!....WE HAVE TO REMEMBER that SOMETIMES....SOMETIMES....it is worth it all. If I thought it was all in vain, I don't think I could bear it. As far as Jesus? Well, you really don't want to know. Like I said, we all are entitled to our personal opinions, and that's mine.