Forum: Photography

Subject: Photographing models for use as texture maps

renderclipps opened this issue on Jul 11, 2004 ยท 7 posts

DHolman posted Sun, 11 July 2004 at 6:10 PM

I have no experience doing what you're about to do (oddly enough, the reason I got back into photography was to do what you're going to try doing, but I got bitten by the photography bug badly and haven't done a single render since I picked my camera up again). That said, a couple comments: "When we booked the studio an extremely nice engineer showed us around the studios and gave us basic tips like one light should always be brighter then the other, apparently this helps with shadows." Actually, this helps CREATE shadows. That is the most basic 2 light setup. A key light (the brighter light on one side) and a fill light. This will create the classic portrait type shot with a bright side and shadow side. And when I say shadow side, don't think dark deep shadows. If the fill is within 1-stop of the key then you should have nice soft shadow that gives a three dimensional look to the subject. The greater the difference, the deeper the shadows become. Again, haven't done this before but I would think for a texture for a 3D object, you would want the lighting to be completely flat. In other words, 1:1 lighting ratio (both lights at equal distance, position and equal strength) That way, no indication of where the light is coming from on your texture. That should come from your 3D render. That make sense? -=>Donald www.dmholman.com