Forum: Community Center

Subject: Responding to Correspondence from Customers....

spook opened this issue on Jul 26, 2004 ยท 38 posts

spook posted Mon, 26 July 2004 at 2:53 PM

lundqvist, i don't have this problem on other websites. in my office, i am running a dell optiplex pc using windows 2000 OS, IE 6.0.2800.1106. the network is ethernet, IP, 100mbs. there are approximately 18,000 PCs at this site. i have exactly the same PC in my paris office - same network specs. paris is our european network hub. at home, i use a dell dimension 2600 with windows xp professional, using the same version browser as in the office. i also have a work-issued PC configured exactly as it is in my office. both connect to either a cable modem OR a DSL line. workplace PCs are maintained by our IT department - a single configuration for all workstations world-wide ( approximately 28,000 workstations). they are also responsible for the design and development of enterprise-wide, b-2-b, and "e-government" applications - delivered via the web. they also maintain our more than 2,200 servers. our webmaster suggests that your code is flawed. this website behaves badly on all of the PCs described. so, either my organisation - which spends several hundreds of millions of dollars per year maintaining its IT infrastructure - and its professional staff are wrong; or YOU are. you have heard from people on MAC OS and wintel PCs voice concern over the navigation bar's impact on website performance in four different threads. to be blunt, an enterprise would have to be suicidal - or stupid - NOT to make note of it. this is not personal; but this IS business. note: a sample of responses by members to a specific topic is governed by the same sampling rules that govern any other demographic exercise. based on frequency of responses, number of actively participating members, and the topic being discussed (and based on the interests of the contributors to a given thread), it is NOT accurate to conclude that .02% of your members have a problem with the navigation bar.