Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: poser is a valid tool rant {please dont read if you are sick of such rants}

DarkElegance opened this issue on Mar 10, 2004 ยท 59 posts

SeanMartin posted Wed, 28 July 2004 at 9:10 PM

Deecey, if I wrote what I did above about that image, I can guarantee you it would be seen as trolling, no matter how much I cushion it. Over the years (all two or three of them) that I've been part of this community, I've tried to encourage people to raise their standards when it's looking at things with a critical eye -- and in supportive, positive ways. But just try to ask a Poser god why s/he did a certain thing or what some particular effect was supposed to do, and you're accused of trolling, since, after all, this is questioning one of the stars, and we're not supposed to do that. We're supposed to look at it, tell them how wonderful it is, and then move on. Well, frankly, if the gods cant take the occasional critique, what hope is there for us mere mortals? I used to provide fairly detailed critiques about lighting and composition and colour; now, I just dont bother because its simply not worth the hassle in the end. If folks want to know, let them post it in a WIP gallery, where critique is expected and welcome. But I'm not about to tread through the mine field of trying to figure out who is and is not open to having their work discussed. And I daresay a lot of other folk feel the same way. To be perfectly blunt, there's a lot of crap out there, and a lot of it gets the inevitable "oooo, how gorgeous" remark, when in fact it's anything but. But because the right character and the right skin texture and the latest prop or wardrobe product is used, it's sorta expected that we ooo and ahh over the image, no matter how banal it might be. We just cant say it's banal, and there's the trick. How can we expect to ever raise the standards when we seem to want the merchants to just do it for us?

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider