Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Thinking of starting a free freebie hosting service....your opinions?

Laver2k opened this issue on Aug 04, 2004 ยท 31 posts

logansfury posted Wed, 04 August 2004 at 7:43 PM

Im wondering if what im reading that the ISPs are doing can possibly be legal????

OK so an ISP bald face lies and says "free and unlimited" in thier add. I can belive this. Fine print says that they can discontinue or alter the agreement at will. I can very easily belive this.

Shut you down cause they decide they no longer want to host a site that uses a lot of bandwidth? Yeah I can belive this.........

but to shut down AND charge?????? Just one damn minute!!

I cannot see how this can possibly be legal. If an ISP can say you may have this for free all month, have you sign for it, then say sorry it WAS free all month but we decided instead to bill you $200 for the free service. Says we can alter details right here in the fine print. Pay up.

How can this be legal? There must be some legal precident for some sanity in this situation. If they can decide that you signed for something free of charge but instead they are going to bill you $200.00, whats to stop them from turning around and saying theyve decided to charge you $2000.00 for what you signed up for as free? whats to stop them from saying sorry its gonna be $20,000.00????? Who decides how much is fair and how much is balogna?

If they can seriously apply a bill to an advertised free service just by using "may apply changes to aggreement" in thier contract and blotch anyone's credit for any amount of money they choose to, how can there be successful business happening, well, anywhere??? If an ISP can do it, any business can do it, and who is going to sign any kind of contract with any business ever again??? That "offer may chage" certainly must be tacked on to other service aggreements that people sign, just how much power does it give to a business???

Is this just an example of some kind of fly by night shady business practice that exploits an unregulated or unrestricted aspect of the business world? Are we gonna see an epidemic of "webhosts" that do nothing more than sign as many people as they can to "free services" then turn around an charge them for all they can thru this fine print contract crap?

As you can tell, I know squat about business law, and this just pummells the hell out of my common sence, such as it is. Id really love to hear from someone that knows something about this. As a consumer, it sounds horribly wrong to me.

Logan

Message edited on: 08/04/2004 19:46