Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Thinking of starting a free freebie hosting service....your opinions?

Laver2k opened this issue on Aug 04, 2004 ยท 31 posts

logansfury posted Thu, 05 August 2004 at 6:50 PM

Hello Dizzie, Ive never done this myself, but what made me think of it was the old grc.com page on the "classic DOS attack". While Mr Gibson was trying to discover what was being used to hammer his site, he created on his webpage an "anonymus trojan depository" in which anyone that had found a virus file on thier system could upload it to there for him to examine later. This in fact led to a spawn of the exact irc bot trojan that was involved in the attacks on his site being uploaded and the results were historic! (check out his pages at www.grc.com) Anyhow, I have to assume someone as security concious as Steve Gibson would never allow this trojan directory to be accessed by anyone but himself, So I figgure it must be possible to create a directory in an FTP server that can be written to but not read from. The configuration of this directory is most likely going to be done thru the FTP server or perhaps thru the permissions of the server Operating System (most likely a linux box of some distro or another) Ill check out some documentation for the linux OS I use and also pass the question along to some linux gurus I know. Logan