Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: How is Daz Studio better than Poser?

notefinger opened this issue on Jun 20, 2004 ยท 76 posts

Silke posted Sat, 07 August 2004 at 12:22 AM

Ok. I've just tried this dog out again. Why in hell do I bother? Nothing works. (Yes, I realize everyone who loves it will disagree, but this is from a Poser user point of view, not from someone who has used Lightwave since they were out of baby shoes.) I cannot use half the stuff I have on my system and that includes the latest "Ultimate Ponytail" poses. I don't care what you tell me, but I'd say 90% of the hair does not do what it should in D|S. Posing is a complete and utter pain in the neck. The cameras are - quite frankly - crap. Slow, sluggish and near impossible to control. Do not tell me it's my system. That happens to have a GF4 4800ti in it, and 2gb RAM. I think that should be quite sufficient. Daz content doesn't even show up even after umteen times of loading, installing, reassigning it. Have they EVER heard of right click content menus? Files import rather crappily with little to no settings preserved. The outcome I've gotten out of D|S renders so far has been less than spectacular. If it does something half way right, it usually crashes at the end of it. Yes, I know it's "Beta" but if you release stuff like the Bryce import from D|S to Bryce then I expect it to bloody well work when it imports the files into DS. It's not like I'm asking much of it. Figure - V3, no custom morphs, bog-standard P4 settings on the texture, wearing the new Ponytail. V3 comes over ok. And that's where it ends. That ponytail is all over the place, so I reconform the darn thing and it's still all over the place. The poses sold on Daz don't work at all. Nothing happens. I try another Hair figure, 3Dream this time - same deal. It's all over the place. If I have to go and pose everything in Poser, then import it to D|S then realize half my stuff went out of whack and I can't use it like that anyway... What is the point? I'm loading up Vue again and that's that. D|S can go take a long walk off a short pier. God help the newbies who are trying to get to grips with this. At least I have some idea of where to look and what to do, but this is ridiculous. It shouldn't be on open beta release, let alone have plugins being sold for it yet. Maybe they should put a note on the box saying 'Imports most files as long as the figures are naked and bald' Yep you guessed it. I've just ripped it out of my system and drop-kicked that Bryce plugin into a bucket where it will stay.

Silke