Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Sci-Fi guns?

MINTY1974 opened this issue on Jul 29, 2004 ยท 25 posts

hauksdottir posted Sat, 07 August 2004 at 5:27 AM

Little Dragon, If I lived for almost 900 years, maybe I'd have a memory like yours, too. :) I usually end up with more weapons than needed in these games, but that it because I try to avoid combat if there is another way around the obstacle. It was challenging doing the AI for them: thinking of skills and personalities and how to make them appear rational. Example... sensing would be by heat, motion, contrast or vibration depending upon which robot and its regular job. A welder would rely upon heat and a floorsweeper upon pattern recognition and a guard upon motion detection. So if you show up and hold still, the guard might pass you by, but the sneaky little welder can find you as long as blood passes through your veins. A floorsweeper might only act if there are 3 other floorsweepers nearby (cowardly), a lone mechanic might keep fighting as long as it has 10% functionality (brave). Some will pursue only as long as they have reliable sensing (lazy), others will keep nosing around trying to pick up the trace again (relentless). So I made a bunch of numerical fields and assigned values to yield distinctive personalities. I'm an artist, not a programmer, but I know that players will give the AI more credit for thinking if it *acts* human. And acting human is something I've studied. [note, you're wondering what planet I'm from?] I'd got them designed and pretty much sketched and developed, when the project director called and said that they'd hired someone inhouse who was an expert with 3DStudio and he'd get to do the robots. :sniff: His are ok, but they look like everybody else's. So they gave me 4 areas to design and do background tiles for. I'm especially pleased with the gardens. (And no, I'm not responsible for the invisible mutants lurking there.) The game picked up a few awards and I got a pin at the Game Developer's Conference as an Honored Developer. :rustle, rustle: This one was in my portfolio for a long time. I really liked DPaint. Carolly