Forum: Carrara

Subject: Need Help creating Poser Clothes in Carrara

venolin opened this issue on Aug 07, 2004 ยท 6 posts

nomuse posted Mon, 09 August 2004 at 12:00 AM

Whew! Finally done with an extremely hectic couple of weeks at work. I'm not gonna make much sense until I've caught up on sleep, tho. I'll be trying Brainmuffin's method on my next out. So far I've been importing a torso or simular portion from Poser then contructing new shapes around it in the Vertex modeller. Generally, by starting with a circle or a hand-drawn poly-line, adjusting it to fit, then extruding over and over again, each time adjusting the current cross-section. The few shoes I've done have been done more with creating polylines along the basic contours then rather laboriously stitching them together. I've a few pointers I can share, tho; Name selections of polygons, and often. Named groups will translate into the groups you will need for rigging conforming clothing, later, they are a simple way of seperating materials (you can rename them later), and they make it easier to select and manipulate parts of your mesh. Related to this, plan for UVmapping. If you keep collars and pockets and things as seperately named polygon selections you will have a much easier time spreading the whole thing out for UVmapping. You can always "collapse" the names later. Plan for face-splits. I know there is some argument on this but I still find the simplest way to handle sharp edges in Poser is to keep the faces on each side of the edge seperate. For that reason, I always select all and uncrease within Carrara; I want the Carrara display to be identical to that of Poser's smoothed display. I'm pretty sure I've posted my current working method in some previous thread. I'm not about to make a tutorial, though, as I am still developing and trying to find the best workflow. Hope my random, first-day-off-in-weeks, jottings make sense and might even help a little.