Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Tutorial on texture creation?

Kristta opened this issue on Sep 03, 2004 ยท 3 posts

CaptainJack1 posted Fri, 03 September 2004 at 3:15 PM

I don't where a tutorial is, but here's a technique that I use that perhaps you would find helpful: I take the base texture map (which looks like severely warped graph paper), and use my paint program to fill in just a few of the polygon areas in approximately the area that I want to paint, saving it to a new name. Then, I attach that changed file as an image map to the object in question, and render it at low quality. That gives me a figure that looks like it's made from graph paper, with a few pieces colored in. That tells me fairly quickly if I'm painting in the right area or not. I keep doing that until I get an outline of what I want to change (for example, I've used this technique to paint a swim suit right onto a skin texture). Then, I fill in the outline with the texture that I want to use.

It also helps to think of a texture map like an orange peel, pulled off the fruit and laid flat. It looks funny flat on the table, but if you roll it back up it will still look like an orange. If you painted a picture on the orange before peeling it, it would look like that bizarre thing we call an image map. :)

Hope that's (at least a little) helpful,
Jack

Message edited on: 09/03/2004 15:15