Forum: Community Center

Subject: Abuses of sensibilites, and copyright infringements

VividViolet opened this issue on Sep 09, 2004 ยท 56 posts

rowan_crisp posted Fri, 10 September 2004 at 10:01 AM

Now that I'm somewhat less sleepy...

Some of the most necessary art is that which abuses the sensibilities, insults the viewer or listener, inspires disgust, rage, humor, debate, and thought.

When I get pissed off about a piece of art, I ask why. I contemplate the reason behind my reaction. If someone designed the image to propagate a falsehood (like some monuments do), then I tend to decide the art isn't really worth my time.

Question: Is the art in question - "1000 Deaths" - offensive?

Answer: How is it any more offensive than waving the pictures of the dead Uday and Qusay Hussein? I actually find it less offensive, since the point is not to celebrate another human being's death, but to make we-the-viewer realize that the people dying are real, and not some score on an international Playstation.

Violet, hate to say this, but if it were one of my children in that picture, I'd find out what his/her motivation was beforehand in making the picture - and then protest, if the sole purpose was to dance on my child's grave.

This image was not made for celebration.

This image is mourning, just as we all should, for all the human death that this war has caused.