Forum: Fractals

Subject: Remember Organic Art ?

BabaLouie opened this issue on Sep 12, 2004 ยท 9 posts

BabaLouie posted Sun, 12 September 2004 at 9:44 PM

Hi Fran, Thanks for the link. William Lantham of IBM, as I recall, came up with the original algos for those fractals. OA sold for a number of years as a screensaver and at some point Microsoft included a version with Windows. A company whose name I am unsure of but at one time could be reached at www.artworks.co.uk was offering OA. When they had an active website they advertised a version of OA that was being developed I believe, that would create fractals to the sound of music, much the same as MS Windows Media does. I believe they were also working on some kind of game or maybe a fractal-game combination. A company by the name of Mindspring, not the internet Mindspring, was offering OA at the same time, which of these two companies actually owned the source I do not know. OA has tremendous potential as you mentioned, I too often wished it had offered the capability for users to add and crate backgrounds. Now to take you back a little further, and to really date myself, there was another program by the name of DAZZLE. It was created by a fellow whose last name I believe was Shifflet and was from the State of Texas. It was a DOS based program that created some absolutely amazing fractals. The program also offered you the ability set parameters so you could create you own fractas. A real sweet program that never really made it into the Windows world. There was at one time a DAZZLE VHS tape that was being sold, but I have not seen it in years. I saw the DAZZLE fractals done at an IMAX theater, wow what a sight that was, looking at fractals above you and all the way across an IMAX screen. thanks, Louis