Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 5 *increases* Windows boot time?

whoopdat opened this issue on Sep 13, 2004 ยท 19 posts

whoopdat posted Mon, 13 September 2004 at 11:53 PM

I can understand that you don't want to trust my memory. Perfectly understandable. So allow me to put to rest any doubts:

I just reinstalled Poser 5. I did a minimal installation, meaning just the Poser 5 content. I didn't do the runtime or anything else. I promptly installed SR4.1 (it claims to be 4, but that shouldn't matter if it the copy protection was removed in 4, or 3, whichever) without rebooting. I immediately started a trace with bootvis and rebooted.

I was greeted by 4.25 passes of the blue bar (I said green before, and I'm sorry, but I did get the colors wrong).

Now, since typing the last paragraph, I've removed P5 and run another trace, and guess what? It booted like normal. Of note: I did not run the program between installing and removing.

Comparing the traces, I can see "imountsrv.exe" being loaded when P5 was installed, along with "pmounter.exe". A google search says prmounter.exe is a Paragon Hard Disk Manager file (which I have installed), but curiously, this process is not started now that Poser 5 is removed.

Further more, imountsrv is not run now that P5 is gone. A google search turns up one item that is merely a list of processes without any description of them (you have to search for imountsrv, not imountsrv.exe). Also, standard system processes at boot start anywhere from 7 to 10 seconds faster without Poser 5 installed than with.

I'm not sure what else I can offer at this point. I know my system, and I know what I'm seeing based on logs and experience. There's definitely something going on there, but I'm not entirely sure what it is.

I'm not trying to stir any pots or start anything, but I think it's worth the time to consider my experiences and logs here. I think it's possible CL forgot to remove something. Edited: because I can't type.

Message edited on: 09/13/2004 23:55