Forum: Complaint & Debate

Subject: objects and the "not for commercial use" statment

spiffyandstuff opened this issue on Nov 19, 2000 ยท 89 posts

praxis22 posted Mon, 20 November 2000 at 2:13 PM

Serious? I should hope not :) Anything I've ever put up, people can take, I don't care, but that's not the point, the point is, "the law says..." If you do care, then add a legal license to your stuff, then its up to you to prosecute, since copyright is a civil statute. If you do prosecute you'll likely win, and the loser gets crucified by the system, they get a criminal record for "free" but they have to pay both sides legal costs. In most "punitive" actions it's the legal costs that do the real damage. This is the law, lawyers make a lot of money out if it. They started making even more money when they decided to do the "no win, no charge" deal, hence the glorious legal money spinner that is personal injury law. The choice is yours, if you want to be able to protect your stuff, use the GPL, it's simple, effecive, and more importantly, proven in court. If somebody pisses you off, you sue them, they can't afford to pay, you win, pull back, run titles, fade out. If you don't care, don't license it and don't complain. The question here is more whether people see themselves as "lawyers at dawn" people or not, because once you sic the law on somebody's ass it won't stop untill it's done, and the consequences for the loser of a civil suit are always of a "permanent" nature. We are no longer children, and if we don't "play nice with others" then the law has a habit of rendering summary and final judgement. later jb