Forum: MarketPlace Showcase

Subject: Apparent Policy of Renderosity as regards Women Merchants & Customers

ynsaen opened this issue on Sep 25, 2004 ยท 12 posts

shadowblade posted Sat, 25 September 2004 at 3:02 PM

I can give you the solution, but you are not going to like it. First, I was an English major. My entire life, in one way or another, has involved words. Having said that, here is the solution. Words have no power of there own. Words are neither good nor bad, on there own. Words are nothing more or less what WE make them to be. There is no difference between the word copulate and the 4 letter word, which MEANS EXACTLY THE SAME THING, but is not acceptable while copulate is. Depending on the meaning of the user, any word can be as offensive as any other. Depending on how YOU take a word, any word - and, I mean ANY word - can be offensive. Here is the solution. Our society has to grow up and stop acting like little children. Words only have the power to offend that you give them. Take away the power YOU give them and they are no longer offensive. I have had people try to insult me by calling me a Redneck. Both my parents were born and raised in West Virginia. I was born in Texas. I wear jeans and cowboy boots and love flannel shirts. I simply reply, "Yup, I'm a redneck. A highly educated redneck, but a redneck just the same." I find no insult in it because I do not give it the power to be insulting. It, also, disempowers the insulter. You would think that everyone would have heard the old saying about sticks and stones. Unfortunately, no one seems to have learned anything from it. It is a sad commentary on our society that you have to hire a lawyer before you say or write anything for fear that you might "offend" someone.