Forum: Complaint & Debate

Subject: objects and the "not for commercial use" statment

spiffyandstuff opened this issue on Nov 19, 2000 ยท 89 posts

spiffyandstuff posted Tue, 21 November 2000 at 9:36 AM

Attached Link: http://spiffyandstuff.homestead.com/main.html

Well, this is where i see some arguments going and i must disagree. When a model maker (like zygote) creates an model and distributes it with any fee, including no fee, (zero is a number too) they give up all post render rights. Though they do have legal rights concerning redistribution of the file. I think everyone has gotten away from the real question. It's not about who can sue who. The question is whether a render of the object is allowed to be controled. I say no. The .obj's author certainly has say in the file, but does it make sense that they have any post render rights. When you render it it is no longer an .obj or code but your artwork, an image you created. The product is put into distribution (free or otherwise), when i render it, it becomes my property. If i'm not mistaken the law says its not plagerism or a copyright infringment if whats in question is changed %50. Now, is the combonation of I's an O's changed by atleast %50 when it is rendered in an image. Nuts, now this question is on the second page, fewer people are going to see it, oh well. As always please respond!