Forum: Community Center

Subject: Apparent Policy of Renderosity as regards Women Merchants & Customers

ynsaen opened this issue on Sep 25, 2004 ยท 75 posts

elizabyte posted Sun, 26 September 2004 at 12:09 AM

Chief among these are that it's not so much the name - I've passed by it, rolled my eyes, and moved on - but in how concerns are treated. Yes, that sums it right up for me. I'm not offended. Very little offends me, and that's a fact. What HAS bothered me in this whole thing is that 17 merchants (or so the count has been stated) came forward and said they found the term inappropriate and felt that it was not conducive to creating a professional image of the store (note that the PTB are always worried about "professional image" and they will censor and control banner images for that very reason). The concerns of the merchants who voiced their dismay at the use of a derogatory (or at least, affronting) term were pretty much dismissed. One merchant (who happens to earn a lot of money for Renderosity) far outweighs the concerns of 17+ others and who knows how many potential and actual customers. Now as I said, I'm not offended by the product name (and I have nothing against the merchant). I AM offended that "If the PTB aren't bothered, then those of you who are can just take a flying leap. Sorry, gals!" This kind of handling of people's concerns, along with the terse, canned, cold phrases of response, the "behind closed doors" so-called discussion by staff, the heavy-handed banning, locking, and moving of threads (with no followup link), and general apparent (note: apparent, as I don't know what the ACTUAL thoughts and feelings of the staff are because it's impossible to tell when they only use terse, canned, cold phrases) lack of sensitivity to perfectly valid concerns is precisely why there are now so many competing brokering houses and Poser/3D communities. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis