Forum: Complaint & Debate

Subject: objects and the "not for commercial use" statment

spiffyandstuff opened this issue on Nov 19, 2000 ยท 89 posts

pnevai posted Tue, 21 November 2000 at 1:59 PM

Lets put everything in perspective. I only make these remarks for your own protection. People put alot of their heart and soul into creations and then because the want to share they pop it out on the internet. Now that is great! Most of us really don't care if our stuff is used and usually are thrilled when it is. At most we would only want our name mentioned. But if you take your stuff more seriously and you do it not with the exclusive purpose of just increasing the creative treasury. Then take a little time and go the extra bit to insure that some big multi-million dollar company does not take advantage of you. Lets us also be realistic. A professional commercial corporation will not use your stuff. I'll tell you why. If it is on the public domain they cannot prove that you were actually the origionator. Who's to say you did not get it from somewhere else? They cannot afford to take such a risk. Their lawyers would not let them take that risk. It is far more preferable to commission a artist to create the material under contract for them. Or they will purchase it from a reputable stock supply house. This way they have undisputable rights to the material. The process that corporations use should give you a clue to how important it is to take the steps to protect your stuff if you have any other than a hobbiests interest in your work. I just wanted let everyone know as far as the law was concerned where they stand. Finally the finished work of art is the property of the artist. with the exception of images of live people. The owner of an object cannot lay claim to any pictures or paintings of the object. You can rent the object to some one to make a painting or take a photograph of it but that only applies to the object not to the image of the object. When a motion picture is made you need to get a release from any living person that is in the frame, to get the permission to distribute that persons image. But the cars and buildings and locations and props, are rented and the owner of the props only gets paid for their use. The owner of the props does not have any rights to the movie it's self. The same applies to electronic objects as well.