Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: About composition

Papu opened this issue on Sep 27, 2004 ยท 27 posts

Svigor posted Thu, 30 September 2004 at 3:03 PM

*If I look at some of my work, I can see places where I've followed the rules, and places where I haven't; in both cases, without knowing what the rules were. I just did what I thought worked at the time.*That's precisely why knowing the rules is important. It isn't that you have to follow them, but rather to know how and when to break them, and that you are breaking them.

So here's the chicken and egg question. Do artists who know them follow these rules consciously, or are the rules just an attempt to formulate what an artist does instinctively?

No need to attempt an answer, by the way. I strongly suspect there isn't one; or, more precisely, there are two diametrically opposed answers which are both true. :)

You've pretty much answered your own question here (I think). The answer to both questions is...yes, sort of. It isn't as simple as the "it's all good" mentality, however. The human psyche is NOT infinitely plastic or abstract, it has a lot of very consistent rules, and it determines the rules of art. The problem is that no one understands the human psyche fully (or even comes close), so we have many grey areas (actually more grey areas than not).

I remember once playing one of my musical compositions to someone with training. "You can't resolve that chord like that", he said, "it's against the rules of harmony." So what? I did it, and it worked for me. In my opinion, being an artist is about trusting your own senses to report the truth of what you're doing.

I don't really have a clue what being an artist is about - at least in terms that can be expressed with words. I remember hearing once that (paraphrasing) art prepares the viewer for death. I don't go in for a lot of the high-flying crap that gets thrown about concerning art, but that definitely resonated with me. I have a much more instrumental view of art (my basic philosophy of life is scientific/Darwinian) than most; my background is graphic design, not fine arts, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

I'm just a beginner when it comes to art theory in practical matters, and pretty much clueless as to the more high-falutin' end of these things.

To wend my way back to your comment about trusting one's senses, I agree to a great extent. On the other hand, one's senses are informed by many experiences, ideas, temperaments, etc., ad infinitum.

Btw, your friend was probably wrong when he said "can't." I know nothing of music, but I know enough about art to know that intentionally breaking the rules doesn't equal "can't." Breaking the rules can often be the way to go.

Message edited on: 09/30/2004 15:07