Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The perfect poser machine?

marvlin opened this issue on Oct 01, 2004 ยท 15 posts

pizzone posted Fri, 01 October 2004 at 6:24 PM

The "Perfect Poser Machine",uh?! The answer is quite simple, it doesn't exist nor will ever exist... Trying to be more constructive I can tell You what I've got and what it's capable of with Poser. Processor is Intel P4 S478 UP 3.00 GHz, DDR RAM is 2 GB and Video Card is a Creative 3DB FX5200. First of all remember that,no matter what someone's still saying, Poser (4, PP and 5) has no use for the PC's video card - it's at least odd for a graphic-oriented program, but so it is - hence no need for that ultra-sophisticated stuff in very colourful boxes (unless You're into games...), there is NO WAY that could help Poser to work or speeding it up. I'd suggest You to go for the processor (more power and more speed You can get...) and, even more important, for large amounts of RAM memory (I'd say the most important factor in preventing the too frequent Poser's crash/freezings, and in allowing to render complex scenes). Whit the above configuration the most complex scenes I manage to render in acceptable times are composed by .pz3 files of about 150/200 MB,with 5 Mill figures undressed/scantly dressed or 3 Mill figures fully dressed, High res (up to 4000 x 4000) maps, and a lot of high/good resolution props. With shadows turned "off" these scenes render in about 40-60 seconds,that increase dramatically with shadows "on". Speaking of Poser, nothing grants You that what succeded happily on,say, Monday, will do the same on,say, Thursday. But that's the real Poser trademark: whatever you'll do to fix it or prevent it from crashing it will EVER manage to find something new to get stuck in the middle of your best ever render!!! A last word about P5...I read a lot of posts saying it's way better than P4 and definitely worth the upgrade...My experience goes definitely to the opposite: whatever the improvements are P5 is terribly slower than P4PP in everything, 20 to 30 times slower in rendering actually,not to speak of posing characters and other amenities... Hope it helped, and good luck... Alberto