Forum: Fractals

Subject: Opinions please! Gallery Guidelines...

nickcharles opened this issue on Oct 04, 2004 ยท 132 posts

nickcharles posted Tue, 05 October 2004 at 12:09 AM

Pandora's box? Yes, I knew this would get ugly...

I started this thread because of the recent questions raised.

Barbara and I thought we had the perfect solution with the idea of 'focal point' in deciding what should stay and what should go. Now, mind you, the guidelines were put in place because of member concerns over 3D/etc. in the Fractal gallery. I repeat this because it was artist's complaints that demanded a change...not us. We try to do the best we can, and we try to be fair. We are not on a 'power trip', nor do we care to be popular. We are doing our job the best we can.

Basically, I have to admit, we hit a wall. What do we do in cases of the 'Bring it in' UF thing, and the XD/3D output cases? I can't say...I'm just not sure anymore. We are not perfect...far from it. We do not have all the answers...if we did, we would have no problems and aLOT more free time. Further, I have seen images produced by fractal programs lately that just do not seem to be fractal to me. So, the best way, IMO, was to open the discussion again.

We really don't want to see a free-for-all in the Fractal gallery, as it was turning out to be before. But, we do have to address the recent questions, and this is the best way we can...by asking for opinions of the Fractal artists that post here.

Whether we are liked or not, is not our concern. We are only concerned with the forward advancement of the Fractal Community.

So...What do you want to see? Let's get to a conclusion on this, please.

Thanks,

Nick and Barbara

And to Harmen-
I still stand by my decision to move your 'emptiness' image according to the current guidelines. Honestly, though, some sites will delete an image without even notifying the artist. I only 'moved' your image, and sent you an IM to notify you. That was very fair.
Also, I have said before that some images may be missed, and to let us know if there is an image that does not comply with the guidelines. Again, we are not perfect, and things can be missed.

As for the Magic contest-
Once a contest is active, the rules cannot be modified. So, yes, it was my mistake that I did not clearly explain what was allowed. So, even 'mixed medium' types must also be approved.

Nick C. Sorbin
Staff Writer
Renderosity Magazine
......................................................................................................
"For every breath, for every day of living, this is my Thanksgiving."
-Don Henley