Forum: Complaint & Debate

Subject: objects and the "not for commercial use" statment

spiffyandstuff opened this issue on Nov 19, 2000 ยท 89 posts

Solo22 posted Fri, 24 November 2000 at 10:44 PM

I will try and brind a simple and less "legal" approach to this very long post. First of all...I find the answer rather simple. If someone says in their ReadMe file...that they don't want anyone to use it for comercial use (for profit)...then DON'T. Yes...perhaps that the creator is not 100% legally covered with a "Readme" file...but god damn it people...the guy is giving up his work for free...the least we can do is live by his wishes. Let's leave the courts out of this and use good judgement. And to spiffyandstuff...you said earlier that...what if the object in question is 50% changed...or modified...or whatever. It still remains the creators object. And most of all...if the object is so changed...why the hell use that object in the first place. Create one yourself. I have a simple solution to make the "Grey area" go away spiffyandstuff. If you are planing to sell artwork...sell artwork that only contains your own stuff...or stuff that has been bought for real without any strings attached. If a person says in the readme file...that they don't want you to use it for comercial use...then don't. Its the least you can do for all the great people giving us free stuff. I can't believe that people actually have to ask this question. Its like..."ohh well...It says I cant use it...but maybe legally I could still use it without trouble" Its a question of respecting the creators wishes...what is so damn hard to understand. If the guy/girl says "Non-comercial"...then DUH!!! Sorry if this sounds like a rude post...but I cant believe that I'm the 69th post here...and no one really seems to give any importance to the wishes of the author. Solo22