Forum: Complaint & Debate

Subject: objects and the "not for commercial use" statment

spiffyandstuff opened this issue on Nov 19, 2000 ยท 89 posts

RadArt posted Sun, 26 November 2000 at 9:27 PM

PFO? Sad that you do not know of the this, however, we should not all assume that everyone must know that PFO stands for Poser Forum Online. spiffyandstuff, may I have a word with you here please? Seems to be no remorse in what you say whatsover, as if all this freestuff you gather should be yours to do with as you please because it is FREE! Tough bananas on all these artists and creators that labored so very hard to bring these items to you. Why should you respect their wishes, they are all just idiots for giving away all that stuff to you for free, so why not take advantage of their good simaritan ways!! I do not like the tone of this you say whatsover. It stinks big time. I started working on a comic months ago. I went out of my way to go through four gigs of zip files that I thought I may use at some time trying desperatly to contact everyone I could to ASK them if it would be okay for me to use their items and characters for my project. This took me longer than any one rendering I ever did for the comic. But I felt it had to be done because I would have felt like shit if I had just started assuming it was okay and went ahead, even with the ones that had nothing stipulating anything in them. It took me a looong time but I did eventually find MOST of the authors, and those that I did not I still attempted to find through others. I admit that there are some that just were so elusive, whether because they no longer existed or perhaps no one actually knew where the file came from, but I know I tried. One by one I contacted everyone to let them know about what I wished to do. I also made them aware that it may eventually be a commercial thing, and that I would do my best to give credit where credit is due. It was to my own surprise that EVERYONE was so very generous and did indeed allow me the graciousness of letting me use there craetions for my project. You cannot fathom the good feeling this gave me. What also surprised me was that a few were actually touched that I would even go out of my way to ask them so eloquently, but WHY NOT!!!?? Some even asked me why the heck I was even asking? Kinda floored me! They work so hard on this stuff, one really should NOT assume it's for us to just do whatever with. Heck, sure, I could have just gone ahead, as you say, and used whatever and saved myself a lot of time and effort. But I tell you this much spiffyandstuff, I am sooo GLAD that I did what I did because that feeling of joy that overwhelmed me to have so much support from so many, a lot of whom I actually did not even know, when they all gave me that permission I asked for, it was like such a wonderful feeling, I cannot even describe it to you. All I know is that it sure is sweet not having to feel any guilt about using props and characters from others on a project knowing full well that they know I am using them. It uplifts a great burden. The only thing I concern myself with now is that I hope like hell I am able to make all these wonderful folks proud of their work through my art, because I believe that is the main reason they create all this stuff most of the time, because they would like to see their hard work displayed as best and as beautifully as possible, and yes, they would all like to be recognized for their efforts. What the hell is wrong with that now, hmmm!? They made the stuff, and just like we work hard as hell to create the artwork, they toiled hard to create that which we labor with to make our masterpieces. The least you can do is show all these people, these artists and creators the courtesy of trying to ASK them if what you do with their things is okay? It is just the polite thing to do. You will find that most, if not all, are willing to go out of their way to actually help you if you show them the recognition they too deserve for their hard work!!! Please do this for what is right, because that is just what it is, "right". To just go ahead and USE this stuff to your hearts content without any respect for the authors wishes is just blatantly ignorant and also quite lazy on your part and will cause nothing but trouble for the community as a whole. If all the wonderful people that bring all this freestuff to us STOP bringing it to us because of attitudes such as yours YOU too will suffer, along with all the rest of the 3D Community, and I wonder if perhaps then you may feel just a little more hindsite as to what you just stated above, and wished you had not.