Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: file definitions, names

drhess opened this issue on Oct 11, 2004 ยท 18 posts

geep posted Mon, 11 October 2004 at 2:43 PM

Hi drhess,

"So, if the cr2 and obj are owned by another, can you create templates that are arranged differently than the original and still make it work?"

In a word ... yes ... but with a caveat.

You can use UVMapper (or any other UV mapping software) to make a map (and then a texture map) for an object (or body part or entire figure). This is done all the time and some very excellent texture maps are sold here in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

However, ...
If you "remap" an object (body part), no one else can use the new map unless you, also, provide them with the new object (geometry) which may be (and probably is) a violation of copyright law since the original object is copyright by the original creator. This would apply to both free and purchased objects usless you have explicit (written) permission from the person who created the original (object - geometry) mesh.

The new "map" and "object" (i.e., geometry) go together so you must use the new object geometry in order for the new texture map to work properly.

Note - You can create a new "map" if you use the original geometry and then, you effectively own the copyright on the map ... but not the object.

This may not be a simple process depending on your level of knowledge and is really beyond the scope of trying to give a more detailed answer here in the forum.

Another Note - You can do whatever you want with whatever you have in your posession, i.e., remap it, change it, trash it, throw it away, etc. as long as you do NOT redistribute it in any form without permission.

"In other words, if I wanted the hand templates from DAZ unimesh to be in a separate file so that the texture applied to them is much more detailed, is there a way to the cr2 and obj files will still know to apply it correctly?"

Yes, you can export the hand (object) and use UVMapper to make a "map" of the original object (i.e., hand).

Next, generate a new texture map (from the "map" created by UVMapper) of whatever size and level of detail that you want.

Then, back in Poser, use the Grouping Tool to make a new "group" for the body part for which you created a new texture map and then apply the new map in the surface material for that part.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019