Forum: Photography

Subject: Opinions requested on Gallery Content

Misha883 opened this issue on Oct 26, 2004 ยท 76 posts

crrunchyfrog posted Tue, 26 October 2004 at 11:50 AM

I guess I'm too purist in my ways ;) MHO? The photography gallery should be for unmanipulated photographs. Touch ups, contrasts or tinting should be accepted. As should photographs with 2D or 3D additions as a decoration on a border, rather than on the actual photo. When it comes to photo manipulations (I think heavily changed falls into that catagory) and images containing additional 2D elements, these should belong in the 2D gallery as they no longer resemble the original photographic capture. The techniques and skills involved in creating these type of images usually fall into the 2D arts genre. Using a photograph as a backdrop for a 3D element, or changing a photograph with a 3D creation, images should really fall into the Mixed Media or the appropriate 3D gallery. The skills that it takes to create these artworks falls into the 3D arts genre. The images in the three genres of galleries, Photography, 2D and 3D, all require completely different skills to create. As R'osity is partially a learning centre, would it not be more helpful to be more stringent about catagorisation? I'm sure a beginner would find it easier to get help if they know exactly where to go to look. As far as stock photos in the photography gallery? No, people should take their own photographs if they wish to be interested in photography to that degree. Manipulate it and throw it in the 2D gallery with credits to the photographer please ;) That's my 2 cents worth anyhow L