Forum: Photography

Subject: Opinions requested on Gallery Content

Misha883 opened this issue on Oct 26, 2004 ยท 76 posts

LostPatrol posted Tue, 26 October 2004 at 6:05 PM

Postwork is optional of course and I fit into both categories, photography as in all forms of art evolves and will continue to do so. I think Gerards idea is good (without postwork) Im not sure about another gallery, as it already takes a fair time to look through just one gallery, adding another would just complicate things even more. I dont do allot of post work but I do enjoy seeing the work of others, I will probably do more as time goes by and I learn new things. Any and all postwork as in layers that I do are all my own work, and maybe that is the pivotal point. The only exception to that I would think was acceptable would be for instance if I saw an image by another artist that I liked and wanted to use within my work with permission and credit given to them for their contribution. I agree that a good image may not need any real postwork, but I have always believed that there is always room for improvement, and if that comes in the form of PS/PSP then I welcome that. The option to be creative is a natural thing to do. I think the real issue here is images that are heavily manipulated that are difficult to tell whether they were originally a photograph in the first place. Or have 3D and or stock images in them. Sorry but I feel that introducing too many restrictions would have a negative effect overall. The statement in the challenge guidelines at present is "Postwork is acceptable and encouraged" from that we as individuals have the choice to do or not to do as we see fit. I know two judges that judge on a national panel whom are both die hard traditionalists, but welcome digital work purely because of the creativity, they both only shoot film always have and probably always will, they both scan their negs and add layers use multiple images etc. It is their belief (and is probably the only thing they agree on) that postwork to acceptable level is the way forward. More like my 2 worth than 2 bob/pence/cents or whatever the currency is that you use. LP

The Truth is Out There