Forum: Photography

Subject: Opinions requested on Gallery Content

Misha883 opened this issue on Oct 26, 2004 ยท 76 posts

gallimel posted Wed, 27 October 2004 at 2:33 AM

Many knows my opinion on that (we've had a similar debate in 2d Forum about an year ago on this topic), but since Misha asked in 2d forum to partecipate at the debate I'll write down a couple of lines. I personally prefer not manipulated version of the pictures, or till the maximum of extent the kind of postwork you can achieve in the darkroom (as Synapse said). This cos this way I can appreciate the "vision and inspiration" the photographer can trace out from the reality he sees. But in years here I have seen that there are quite a few member of the photography gallery who do brilliant and delicately enhancing postwork on heir images, makin the photo remain wonderfully and merely "photos". There's also works that are pure genius collages, like Tedz's, which are worthy being in the photogallery, despite the fact they coul also fall in the 2d cathegory. What could make the difference to me would be to post ALSO the original source or sources. That could be also a way to learn how to make postwork. And a way to learn about composition and to define also better the artistic inspiration and ability of the photographer. By comparison from the start to the end of the process everyone would obtain elements to evaluate more the steps that were taken also in the allowed manipulations, and that could enlighten the whole community more on the possibility of digital photography. All said and done... I still believe a photo completely not manipulated that achieve artistic impact has to count slightly more than what was obtained after postwork. Cos it means the photographer saw the reality as art from the very start, and just framed it. Which takes an enormous talent, actually. But as well, postworks such as enax's or Cynlee's show a talent uncommon for the totally perfect balance of elements and decisions of underlining bites and lights that really create movement and feeling in the viewer. That requests talents as well.And has to be praised. I think often the postworks I see in the gallery don't add much (in some cases they diminish) the artistic flair of the photo. I am sure if we would see the sources, often that would result to the eyes of everyone, and in a while only worthy postwork could be showed. It's not easy problem to solve, but I am sure the talented photographers around will find their way to give room to their creativity always. This gallery is beyond doubt oneof the real focuses of creativity in this site. My two euros :)