Forum: Photography

Subject: Opinions requested on Gallery Content

Misha883 opened this issue on Oct 26, 2004 ยท 76 posts

M_Moraitis posted Wed, 03 November 2004 at 5:59 AM

Sorry I've been away and thanks Cyn for sending me the link. :) A very controversial subject and one that has many different opinions. Mine being that ever since I started taking photography more to a professional level my opinion has changed. I love seeing work that a photographer has put effort into such as composition, lighting, subject etc etc. I like seeing someone make the camera (digital or film) work for them and not let the camera do all the work. I feel that adjustments such as levels, saturation and cropping are a given and just part of the digital darkroom technique but past that it seems to take away from what true photography is. These days anyone can make a bad picture pretty but strip all that manipulation away and try and see what the real truth is in technique. There are many talented photographers here that I respect and nothing better than someone really putting effort in to improve their abilities. Sometimes I feel this gallery has almost become like the poser gallery...it's gotten away from the appreciation of photography to the point of how many comments one can get or the "Vote" message that seems to imply I'm voting, now please vote on mine kind of thing. I've seen really great photographs go with very little comments and something mediocre go with 50 and 60 comments...puts a bad taste in my mouth that this gallery is losing what I felt it was about in the first place...photography...but hey that's another discussion. lol. Not trying to tick anyone off, just stating the truth. Misha and Michelle I applaud your efforts in trying to keep this gallery pure and true to what it's suppose to be. I agree with your statement. Please keep it up because I use to once love posting here. Have a great day!!!