Forum: The MarketPlace Wishing Well

Subject: What's most in demand for Poser?

drhess opened this issue on Oct 27, 2004 ยท 48 posts

nomuse posted Fri, 05 November 2004 at 5:44 PM

Yah...going by Hot20 one would think the way to get sure sales would be V3 skins and underwear. Except, one look at how many of these items there are already suggests that this is a saturated market. One could even go so far as saying there is a high chance of ONE OF the skin-and-undie items doing well in any period, but that the chance is very low that a PARTICULAR one will do well! (Kinda like the lottery -- someone will definately win, but your individual chances are not good.) One could spend a while checking Hot 20 and checking out the stores of the merchants involved. It might even be possible to figure out a little of their history by pulling their ReadMe's. That might give you a better idea of who among the Hot 20 is actually a stable merchant who always sells well (and not just the flavor of the month). And figures using only those merchants might be a better guide to what does well. I won't insult anyone by suggesting the best thing to do is build what you love and build it with quality. That is a good philosophy but one must also pay the rent; the best strategy combines elements of joy and of smart business. It would also be interesting (but difficult) to pull the numbers and see if there was ANY correspondence between gallery postings, activity in the forums, and purchasing activity. I have made an effort to look at the artist page of every person who bought one of my products. From that I learned over half of them were non-participants in the Rendo community. I have also talked in forums and gallery threads with a number of people, and outside of my brave and glorious beta testers I find only a vanishing number of people who showed up later in my store. Neither anecdote is surprising. The only hard guide to what is wanted and what sells well is....what sells. Activity in this forum, particularly, doesn't seem to correspond to any sort of majority interest.