Forum: Photoshop

Subject: Need help with print terminology

leilani opened this issue on Nov 07, 2004 ยท 9 posts

aprilgem posted Sun, 07 November 2004 at 2:55 PM

Hi, Leilani, The best place to start is with the print bureau -- ask them as many questions as they have the time to answer. More often than not, they'll appreciate your asking because it means an effort on your part to give them the cleanest, most technically sound files that you can. Next, there is a Computer Arts Projects issue out that focuses on Print Design -- October 2004 issue. I haven't read it yet, but I imagine there's loads of stuff in there for the newbie to learn. And finally, here's a primer from me. The trim is where the actual printed piece will be cut -- the actual edges of the final piece. The bleed is the area around the trim -- usually about a quarter-inch out; it's there so that if the trim is a little off, the image/design/color is still there along the edges. The margin is the area just inside the trim -- usually about a quarter-inch in; printers recommend you keep all text within the margin because, again, if the trim is a little off, then nothing important will be cut off. Color separations are done in CMYK -- Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black. Those are the four colors used to print, so it's a good idea to convert your images to CMYK when prepping for print. Embedding fonts usually has to do with PDF files. PDFs are created by Adobe Distiller, which comes with Adobe Acrobat, and there are settings within it that allow you to embed the fonts. What a graphic designer typically does is work within QuarkXPress, InDesign, or PageMaker, print their layout to PostScript, and then drop the PostScript file in Distiller, where it gets made into a PDF. The best thing to do when using this process is to ask your printer for their preferred settings within Distiller. They can usually send you some kind of preferences file to put somewhere. If you are not working in Quark, InDesign, or PageMaker and instead are making layouts in Illustrator, then the thing to do with fonts is to Create Outlines (should be under the Text drop-down menu) out of all the text within your file so you don't have to worry about sending them any fonts -- this is because all fonts within your document will have been turned into shapes/paths. If you are sending layouts that you did in Photoshop, the best thing to do is send them a flattened TIF or EPS file -- then the fonts are rasterized and you don't need to send them anything. I'm not sure about slug -- I think it's any piece of scrap, photo, or text within a layout. In Quark, InDesign, or PageMaker, elements are in boxes. If you want to slug in some text, you create a text box and put the text in there. If you want to slug in an image, you create an image box and import an image into it. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I've been working as a web and print graphic designer full time for at least five years now, doing catalogs, brochures, books, business cards, etc., so I might know some answers. In the meantime, I hope this helps. :)