Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Paypal horror stories -- escape?

pjbear opened this issue on Nov 13, 2004 ยท 17 posts

JenX posted Sat, 13 November 2004 at 11:30 AM

like gillbrooks said, you're probably getting "phishing" emails, or fraud emails that say they're from paypal, but not. I've never had any problems with paypal, and I've been using them for years. Granted, I don't use paypal to buy cars, like I've seen done, but, I still use it, rather than have my credit card info or bank account info in a store's records online. I've read a lot of the complaints, and deal with them, as well (I work in the Loss Prevention department for a FI here in Canada), and, well, 9 out of ten people who are complaining about the service brought about their own displeasure. There are warnings in the news, and even on the paypal website, regarding fraudsters who send emails pretending to be paypal, or any other financial institution, to get your financial info. They put the info out there, and most people don't even pay attention, yet they want PayPal to take the heat. I'm willing to bet that, if Paypal could stop fraud, they would. It costs them millions of dollars per year. However, there is almost no stopping crime in an unpoliceable area (the internet). What I would suggest is to get smart about financial safety, don't open unsolicited email (or email from people you don't know), and don't use paypal or your credit/debit card on sites that aren't secure. Above all, common sense dictates here....It's like the old McD's lawsuit...yeah, the coffee's, hot, so don't pour it on your crotch ;) I know it sounded crass, but, seriously, as someone who deals with this stuff for a living, I tend to roll my eyes when someone says "I've been frauded by paypal!!"....when, an ebay merchant didn't deliver, or an online merchant's system was down, and they couldn't get their money back. View paypal as, well, basically a low-limit credit card. If you don't pay attention to where your money's going, you're going to miss where it went. Their contact info is easily available (and posted above by Noel), and they're not impossible to get ahole of (remember, they ARE an international company, so you WILL be on hold for a little while). That said, good luck, and I hope that it really is PayPal that is sending you the emails. ..shadow..

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.