Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Paypal horror stories -- escape?

pjbear opened this issue on Nov 13, 2004 ยท 17 posts

pjbear posted Sun, 14 November 2004 at 8:59 AM

Dear Vendors, The true horror stories are only things I read on the web, and lots of them. My own problems seem minor compared! But let me elaborate a bit, as best as I can remember FOR THE VENDORS'sake who ONLY use Paypal, if there still are any who only use Paypal (and it looks like ONLY using Paypal may be a thing of the past, but I have not made it a project to check and update.) Some years ago I tried to sign up with Paypal because of a 3D vendor who only would accept Paypal or personal checks. Somehow or other I botched the application. I was quite new to all this stuff. My application got rejected even though I have excellent credit in real life, because it was incomplete. Then I could not get Paypal through their automated system to correct the problem and let me finish the application and I could not seem to find a way to talk with them directly on the phone. For whatever reason. I do not remember if a phone number was available then. Their automated system would not let me simply put in a new application. So I had to mail vendors who only used Paypal checks, which was a real pain. Meanwhile Paypal kept sending me statements about this and that and reports about my account status. But I did not have a working account!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So all this was and is junk mail so far as I was concerned. I gave up and tried to get Paypal to just take me out of their system entirely to try to put an end to the junk mail. But nothing I tried, e-mails, "click this link to unsubscribe"-types of options, seemed to work. As I recall part of the problem is that their computer thinks I have an account, but I don't have a password to get in and change anything because they denied me an account!! Of course, after awhile I did not want an account or anything else to do with them, except get out. Finally a few days ago after yet more "junk mail" I turned to google to see if others had had any similar problems and had found ways to escape from Paypal. Instead I ran into website after website that had been set up by groups of people who felt that they had been very seriously burned by Paypal and were trying to take action. It makes me nervous to think that they have any data on me in their system at all. Again, my personal problem so far at least has been comparatively small. But from what I have seen and experienced I feel very sorry for artists who want to do business with a vendor and get involved with Paypal. I have not noticed if there are still vendor's who ONLY use Paypal, but IF there are I urge them strongly to give their customer's more payment options like Visa and Mastercard. It seems that some like BBay have now created more options, Visa etc. So maybe being trapped with Paypal if you want to do business with a Vendor is a thing of the past for the computer arts community. I hope so. PERSONALLY, If I were a vendor I would not have anything at all to do with them. But of course that is easier said than done. I imagine that a lot of people use paypal simply because they use ebay and have not had problems with paypal, even if they also have "real" credit cards. I wonder, though, if it would really hurt business to drop Paypal. I guess for vendors it comes down to personal circumstances and feelings whether to drop them entirely. But anyway, you have my two cents.