Forum: Vue

Subject: Close To Photo-Real-- With Image Based Lighting-- in Vue 5

Veritas777 opened this issue on Nov 15, 2004 ยท 32 posts

Veritas777 posted Wed, 17 November 2004 at 1:35 PM

I use Poser Pro-Pack and I think that really helps- maybe- as I seem to have no problems importing Poser figures. I always set them up and render them first using the standard P4 renderer- and then save them as Pzz files. Pz3 should work just fine but the great file size reduction of Pzz has not caused me any problems in Vue 5. You can, of course, make that your DEFAULT Poser saving format and gradually delete all your Pz3's as you go along. BIG savings in storage space. So now I save a lot MORE versions of my characters (heh- and so I'm filling the space back up again.) The Poser figures, like the one's used above, import with the bump maps already set correctly. They are usually the exact same setting- something like .06 I believe- but sometimes I'll set it to .50 which causes a noticable increase in the bump. In fact Vue will massively Over-Kill the bump if you go much higher than .50 ... So, anyway- the DEFAULT import bump settings are nearly always perfect for Female skin. I only bump the Male skin a tiny bit more to give them a rougher complexion. Even with Elephant skin I don't go over .100 So having said all that- basically I use "as is" for my imports and them seem to work really well. The only other "skin trick" I like to use is sometimes increasing the skin relection up to about 5 or 10% to create the look of "wetness". Depending on your lighting, like Image Based Lighting, it can look pretty good. A SMALL amount of reflection on skin makes it look more "alive" and natural, I think- and gets rid of that DRY look you see sometimes in some renders. But a few texture maps- like the one above of V2 Asia, acted a bit strange when I added the reflection touch- so I turned it back off again.