Forum: Vue

Subject: Pre-Purchase questions, Platform, License, RenderFfarm, Pro issues.

operaguy opened this issue on Nov 18, 2004 ยท 13 posts

Dale B posted Thu, 18 November 2004 at 9:10 PM

1. Nope. But both the Cows and VuePro are multiprocessor aware, so they would use multiple threads in the rendering. The way the HyperVue network render system works, the actual Vue application functions as the controller. It handles file transmission, scene set-up and frame specifics. When it is doing this, it can't render, so you need a Cow on the controller system. I haven't tried to run multiple Cows on one system, but i suspect things are coded so that only one can run within an OS environment at a time. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.... 4) With sufficient memory and a roomy swapfile, yes. RenderCows are designed to run in the background, so other things can be going on. Probably the most problematic of the lot you mentioned would be Poser. It hasn't got the greatest memory management, and textures can eat RAM like a 4 year old goes through animal cookies. 5) Yes! The Cows talk to HyperVue through TCP/IP protocols. The easiest way to do a home rendergarden is to name each computer something unique, and have add it to the render queue by name. Much quicker than by TCP/IP addy (the 4 boxes in my garden are betsy, bossie, elsie and rose. Good Cow names... :P ). And the Cows are much more forgiving regarding resources that Vue itself is; the GUI and viewports really eat resources. The strongest box in my garden (currently) is an XP-2500+ on a Gigabyte K7 board with 1.25 gigs of DDR-266. The weakest that was once in it was an original Athlon 700 (the Sega cartridge), and 384 megs of PC-100 SDRAM. It was slow, but it was stable (running Win2kPro SP2). 6) So far as I have heard, if the content libraries match each other, you can transfer scenes from one platform version to another. As for a dual install...usually such liscences are worded as to indicate you can only have one version active at any one time; personally, I wouldn't think E-on would have a problem with having say a laptop install to create as you go, and a Mac install at home to do the rendering while you create the next scene. But that is only my opinion...