Forum: Vue

Subject: Pre-Purchase questions, Platform, License, RenderFfarm, Pro issues.

operaguy opened this issue on Nov 18, 2004 ยท 13 posts

Dale B posted Fri, 19 November 2004 at 7:27 AM

"So, my two dual processor Macs can NOT process two different frames at the same time, but since VUE/Mover is multprocessor aware, they will be efficient (fast) at processing the one frame they are rendering at a given time. Is that accurate?" That is my understanding. I don't have Macs, so there may be something in the OS coding that allows it; a Mac person would have to verify. Windows doesn't permit it, though. And Vue The cow would run multiple threads, instead of a single thread, so yes, it would be a faster frame render. "I am glad to hear I can go cross-platform. I think I will leave one computer completely off farm production, for surfing, emailing, Posering, modeling etc. I guess one of the three would be the controller and also render as a cow, right, and the other two just be nice contented cows?" Oh Good Lord yes...unless you're immune to Net addiction or have a lot of projects you need to do elsewhere. And that is how it would work. The only thing you need to be aware of is that Vue is sensitive to both system resources and packet collision. On my set up, I can't start all 5 cows rendering at the same time; either system resources bottom out and Vue CTD's, or there is collision in the data transmission to the renderboxes, and again a CTD. An easy work around is to just start the main Cow, wait until it is rendering frame 0, then start the next, and repeat. Hm. You -might- want to set up the G5 as the main box, and then test it. With that much RAM and a dual processor, it may be that you could do other things on one processor, and let Vue run on the second. It would only run one thread, but it would keep the strongest box available. I haven't played with dual processors (yet), so there are issues there I can't address from experience. Probably I would use the G5 as the master; it has the most physical ram, and that would allow Vue to distribute larger scenes for render. The Cows use the swapfile to store resources, so they can run on a much smaller memory footprint than Vue does. Basically, the Cow is nothing but the Vue-specific version render engine with a TCPIP front end and minimal file handling ability. It depends on HyperVue to pass it all the resources and data it needs, then chews it up and spits out the results. So the system with the greatest resources should be the controller, as it has to keep track of what it's sent out... Oh, one thing to keep in mind. If you do set up a second computer to create content on for rendering, be =sure= that your installation drive letter and file structure matches in the content department. One guy local tried that with a different app, and didn't take into account that his laptop only had a C: drive, and all his stuff was on E: with a totally different file tree structure. Just about drove him insane.... "I just realized I have a functioning Mac 7200 accellerated to G3, I wonder if I could get milk outta that old thing." If the OS supports running the Cow, probably so. Mac people? This stuff is kinda addictive, isn't it? :P