Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: PayPal situation not so grim...

Jack D. Kammerer opened this issue on Nov 20, 2004 ยท 55 posts

softriver posted Sat, 20 November 2004 at 10:42 PM

Ales-

I think you need to consider truly how few options Renderosity has in this case. If I were involved with the administration of a site this large, I'd probably do something similar because:

1. This is an international community. Without PayPal, Renderosity loses their ability to cater to the bulk of international customers.

2. Not everyone has a credit/debit card. It's easy to lose track of that when you don't live on that side of the fence, but in the city I live in there are many many people living on the edge of poverty. Most of us who are into digital art sacrifice a lot to pursue it as a hobby or a career, with what little we do save going to overdue hardware and software upgrades. If PayPal is the only feasible solution, then I'd rather deal with their policies (as an administrator) than to deny people the ability to pursue art.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think anyone is happy with this. Renderosity certainly didn't set out to damage their own business, but PayPal is putting them in a precarious position, and forcing them to make uncomfortable choices.

All that we can do as a community is to support them by offering them viable alternatives, and showing our support for those alternatives. Maybe that sounds like a hard path to follow, but this angry girl will be walking down it, if any of you would like to join me.

As a soon-to-be content provider in this community, I'm already researching payment gateways for our store front. I fully intend to let the administration of this site know of every viable alternative to PayPal that I can find. However, the only way for an alternative to be truly viable is if the customers using the PayPal service show a willingness to switch. EDIT: Copy from my editor goofed my post a bit. Edited to correct.

Message edited on: 11/20/2004 22:44