Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: PayPal situation not so grim...

Jack D. Kammerer opened this issue on Nov 20, 2004 ยท 55 posts

Jack D. Kammerer posted Sun, 21 November 2004 at 4:31 AM

No offense, Ales, but you really are taking things to the extreme here about this situation, almost to the point where it would almost seem as though you have some sort of axe to grind in regard to this website and towards Tim Choate... and again, no offense meant here, and in all honesty, I know a thing or two about having a valid chip on one's shoulder about this website and it's owners and I just can't see the validity of you having one stemming from your arguements in this thread. Heh... me defending this website and Tim Choate... who'd have thunk it? :o) I think you are failing to understand, Ales, that the steps that Renderosity is taking are steps that meet and adhere to their own Terms of Service of this website. I will agree with you that this situation NEVER should've occured... not because what they are doing is wrong, because it isn't. But because Renderosity became side tracked from its original intent and purpose, making it NECESSARY for them to enforce these restrictions. Unfortunate, yes, but certainly not really worthy of lighting torches, grabbing pitchforks and storming the castle as it seems you would have people do. What the owners of this website are really doing here is RECONFIRMING and ENFORCING the terms and conditions what had always been the BUSINESS PLAN of this website, which was to run a 3D and Poser Friendly 'Family Style' website. As in any business, one can sometimes become side tracked from their orginal business plan. Sometimes making a poor business decision or try something that might inadvertently conflict with the orginal intent and service that business was supposed to be providing to its customers... and sometimes, it takes a third party to point out that pitfall so that it may be corrected before it becomes too late. In this case it was PayPal... and as such Renderosity is getting back on track with its original business plan. Let's put it this way. Renderosity was clearly selling adult related products... there is no other explaination for such things as bondage items, sexual intercourse poses and fetish outfits... and as such, those products being sold could and most certainly would hurt this website. As the orginal owner of Renderotica the hardest thing I ever faced in running an adult website catering to Poser and other 3D Programs was finding sponsors and forging partnerships with the very companies who's products our members used. Zygote, DAZ, Curious Labs, 3D Studio Max, Lightwave and all the others don't want to have their companies associated with an adult company because, like it or not, it would effect their own business and partnerships. Crappy as it may be, it doesn't change the fact that it is true... it would. Renderosity continuing to travel down the path that they have been in the selling of 'adult' 3D Products places them in a position where they could loss their partnerships with the companies whose products make this website the valuable asset that it is, which would mean no more Curious Labs involvement, Vue involvement, DAZ involvement and anyone else that Renderosity has forged a partnership or sponsorship with... Keeping that in mind, think about the money this site would truly stand to lose, as well as, the value that this website is able to provide its membership from it's corporate partner and sponsorships that they would most certainly lose by continuing to sell adult related products and TELL me that Tim Choate is INCOMPETENT, UNSYMPATHETIC to the needs of this membership, or a POOR BUSINESS MAN. The fact of the matter is this, Tim's recent decision probably just insured that this Community would be the first to get an inside peek at Poser 6, or any new version 3D software coming out, as well as, contest prizes, give aways and secured the future of this website for you all to continue enjoying it for another 6 years. Yes, the decision may hurt the site finacially for a couple of months. It might be inconvient for members wanting that sort of product to now have to go to Renderotica and, yes, it means that vendors are going to either have to sell their 'adult' products elsewhere... but LONG TERM, this business decision, only insures this website's survival and that is something that should be considered before you go and get a chip on your shoulder... ...otherwise, the alternative is to be ostrosized by the very industry, and companies that make up that industry, who's products you advertise, support and bring value too... ...just like Renderotica. Jack