Forum: Vue

Subject: Pre-Purchase questions, Platform, License, RenderFfarm, Pro issues.

operaguy opened this issue on Nov 18, 2004 ยท 13 posts

Dale B posted Sun, 21 November 2004 at 6:53 AM

YOu're welcome! Hey, I like to show of- er, pass on wisdom... ;P By 'Internet apps' I'm referring to browser and mailnews readers. I militantly hate Outlook; I have spent entirely too much time trying to fix things done to friend's computers that this one POS app was directly responsible for allowing in. I use Eudora for my e-mail, Agent for my news reader, and Opera for my browser (no P2P for me; I don't trust anyone with access to any part of my system...FTP is just fine for fine transfers IMHO). I put those on D:, which keeps them away from easy access to the boot sector of C:. And since they aren't the apps being touted as supported by many of the ISP's (of course they follow the net standards, so they don't =need= support), the script kiddies rarely go after them. And not being integrated into the OS, it's generally harder to use them as attack portals anyway. (This conversation always reminds me of when my wife and I got cable internet. The 'techie' came out to install our NIC's for us. We already had them in and configured. Then the techie went to set up our service....and sat there. And sat there. We were both running 98lite sleek at the time, so there was no IE, no Outlook, and no way to get to his canned config files that I would bet a penny would have caused more trouble than they were worth. -We- had to talk -him- through doing the setup by IP address...and for a few months, we had shell access. He spent probably 45 minutes on a 5 minute job, but he was -starting- to understand before he left...and was amazed at the fact that there were two Win 98 boxes in the same location that were stable.... >:) ). And any way I can help, ask. If I don't know something, I'll say so.... ;)