Forum: MarketPlace Showcase

Subject: Gryphon 2

sixus1 opened this issue on Nov 24, 2004 ยท 60 posts

sixus1 posted Sat, 27 November 2004 at 11:24 PM

I can certainly say there are a number of animals I would really enjoy doing, and some I've done but just haven't released. The big reason for not releasing them is that I know animals come under an amazing amount of scrutiny and that can take a lot of the spontenaity (sp.?) and creativity out of the work for me. Part of why I enjoy doing the really bizarre monsters that have had few to no interpretations is that people don't see them then judge that against thier preconcieved notions. The Zarathant is a great example: it's one of my own creatures from a story of my own so noone can tell me what it is supposed to look like. I had a level of freedom on that figure that made working on it such fun that it was literally completed in under one day. If I'm working on figure that comes with a lot of community baggage, like the horse I've kept shelved for over a year now, I find that all the opinions that will fly about it can become such a bummer that it just isn't fun anymore. I know that's a really simple thing to say but it's true: the attraction to this as a business for me is the ability to be creative and have fun while making a living. When working on a figure just isn't fun anymore, well... that makes is "work" in a very bad way and I know at that point the project will suffer. It's also one of the primary reasons I don't post WIP images very often. It's not just that I don't like to show unfinished work, but a lot of times people become offended if you don't take 100% of what they say into the production, so we just sort of try to avoid that as much as possible. I'm also extremely self critical, so compounding that with other opinions can be really infuriating; I'd rather get opinions close to completion when I've had a chance to distance myself a bit. OK... enough of me rambling... I'll just wrap this post by saying that if anyone out there would seriously like to see Sixus1 Media producing some high quality animals, it's not out of the question, we do listen closely to the users, and so it might not be a bad idea to let us know what you want. Doesn't mean it will happen immediately, but you can bet that things we get requests for do go into the "ideas list" on our production board (the almighty dry erase board that stares at me all day from just beyond my desk... damn you production board... damn you!!!!)where it is very likely to get worked on at some point. -Les