Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is it just me??? (24 days of gifts for you from daz published artists)

aeilkema opened this issue on Dec 16, 2004 ยท 107 posts

wlm11 posted Fri, 17 December 2004 at 3:07 AM

As one of the PAs who put up a gift (maclean's toybox and gift package), I find this thread incomprehensible. I am NOT surprised at the lack of gratitude from some people. But I didn't sit down for 4 days and make 2 models and their textures, so people would be grateful. I did it because I thought it was a nice idea for christmas. Still, there's always someone who complains, no matter what you give them. (And, please note that my contribution doesn't require any product at all). What DOES surprise me is how DAZ got dragged into this and now gets blamed for all the evils of the modern world. DAZ had NOTHING to do with this initiative. It was suggested and developed in the PA forum, then we asked DAZ if they would host the files. OK. It's in their interest to host them, but that doesn't make them responsible for the content. Each individual PA decided what to make, not DAZ. You don't like our gifts? So, sue us! mac PS Thanks to all the other people who are appreciative of freebies. ----------------------------------------------------------- I for one greatly appreciate the freebies Mac, thank you for all your hard work. Now, my dow pesos on the subject: I was unable to use but one of these freebies (the toy box coiincidentally), mainly because I didn't have the items needed for them. However, I looked at it this way: A) They were a free gift, so I downloaded them anyway. You never know when you may end up being able to use the item afterall later on down the road. and B) With as many expensive hobbies as I have (Old West Gunfighter team, NASCAR Short Track Racing, Model Railroading, Slot cars, collecting old west antiques, collecting railroad art), my hobby budget is VERY limited this time of year. So the fact that someone like the folks at DAZ were kind enough to give these items away, really brightened my day when I discovered them earlier this week. Sure, most of them weren't of any use to me now, but these people didn't have to do this, they did it out of kindness and generosity. I nsincerely doubt that anyone here or at Daz is making a living (outside of Daz the company) creating these products, so the "they are doing it as a promotional tool" isn't a fair accusation. Personally, I'd love to see what you folks that complain about this giveaway have created in the form of models or textures. The reason I say that, is because if you had ANY idea (I do, I tried and failed miserably with 3D Studiomax)how hard it is to make these items and how much time and work goes into them, that you'd have a lot bigger appreciation for them. I know I do. I stumbled across this site a few years ago by accident while looking for railroad art and found a 3d image of a Steam Locomotive coaling tower and roundhouse with 4 or 5 steamers in various stages of readiness for service at dawn and it blew my socks off. I was hooked. However, when I decided to give 3D rendering a try, if it wasn't for the generosity (see, there's that word again) of my girlfriends sister giving me her copy of Poser4 when she quit doing renders, and all of the advice and assistance given to me by the members of this site, I would still be pulling large clumps of hair out and drinking like a fish. Remember that this is only a hobby. It's all for fun. For me Poser is a way to relax and get away from the stress of work. So being that these items didn't put you out anything, and this is just a hobby anyway, then "What the problem is??" Tom