Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Python script request: Scale all objects in scene?

Berserga opened this issue on Dec 23, 2004 ยท 36 posts

ynsaen posted Fri, 24 December 2004 at 11:55 AM

Attached Link: RDNA Poser 5 Exploration Forum

Yes. Scaling up improves rendering time for all scenes. However, the most dramatic difference is seen when those scenes use the advanced features of firefly, such as displacment, raytracing, procedural materials, refection, etc. The reason is simple. Firefly is not *optimized* for small scale work. Poser scale is very, very small. So when one goes into small areas of small things, the numbers being passed to the rendering engine are incredibly small. They do not need to be, however. Poser's scale -- for us, in general -- is entirely perceptual. We percieve it to be small because the figures we use in it are small. The figures have never been scaled up from the orginal release. All figures currently created for poser are built around that original scale. Poser's world scale is roughly around a million poser units. That's a LOT of space to play around in. Nor does the scaling always need to be a factor of ten. Half that often works well. Sometimes a greater factor will apply. But scaling, overall, absolutely does have an impact on render time. It also impacts performance, level of detail (it does increase when using displacement), and more. This is the sort of cool stuff one gets when one vists the RuntimeDNA Poser 5 exploration forum. Plus you get good advice on *using* poser 5 in every day things, and you can lern about hair and cloth and even show off experiments and more -- all in a very cooperative, friendly, helpful environments. ALthough you do get much, much longer posts over there. So you do have to read a bit more. Oh, and, lest any one wonder *why* I'm so big on that forum, or suspect me of wrongdoing, well... I *am* one of the moderators for it. ;)

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)